PP2 - Day 2
Ship It Post #
May 14, 2022
⚡Personal Power II
- Everyone is driven by two forces: avoiding pain or gaining pleasure.
- Procrastination is the opposite of using your personal power.
- We procrastinate because we think that taking action would be more painful than not taking the action.
- The pleasure that comes after finishing a task is not enough to overcome the pain of doing it now.
- Sometimes we overcome procrastination when we're up against a deadline, so not finishing would be more painful than taking action.
- The need to avoid pain is biological; it's a survival mechanism.
- Why would you overeat? Because it's pleasurable. There is the pain of being fat. But in the moment, the pleasure is more real to you. It's the more motivating force.
- So whether it's pain or pleasure, we go for the immediate gratification/avoidance, and lose sight of future rewards/consequences.
- We need to change what we link our pleasure and pain to.
- The need to avoid pain is more powerful than the desire for pleasure.
- If doing an action is painful, and not doing the action is painful, what determines your behavior is which pain is more intense.
- Most of us don't consciously look at what we link pain and what we link pleasure to. And so our lives are in reaction instead of in control.
- The controlling force of our life is what we link pain and pleasure to.
- At any moment of time, whatever you focus on, is what's most real to you.
- To change your behavior, you must focus on how not doing something is going to be more painful than just going for it. Do it to yourself upfront, don't wait to life put you in a pressure situation where you feel like you have to do it.
- Use pain and pleasure instead of having pain and pleasure use you. That's the secret to success. You do that and you're in control of your life. You don't do that. And life controls you. And unfortunately for most people, life controls them. So let's change it.
- If you don't have money, there's only one reason: you link more pain to having more money than than not having it.
- you're in control, and that you have the ability to change your focus and therefore change your behavior instantly by learning to control pain and pleasure and what you link them to.
- What drives us are our emotions, not our just our intellect.
- Use the carrot and stick (pleasure and pain) on yourself. Because if you don't, there are plenty of other people in this world who are paid large sums of money to direct you. advertisers do it. Do it to yourself. Learn to advertise in your own mind, and take control now.